These Honey Lemon Garlic Chicken Drumsticks scream summer! They go great with just about anything. The dijon mustard combined with the raw honey, garlic and tangy lemon makes for the BEST combination. With this recipe, you can have dinner on the table in 30 minutes. Even with the quick prep and cook time this dish is still full of flavor!
The flavors of this recipe are delicious and also allow for versatility with what you pair it with. The lemon gives a hint of freshness which is perfect for the spring and summertime. You can choose to cook this indoors or grill for additional flavor as well.
My favorite way to cook these drumsticks is on the grill or in my air fryer! I love the flavor the grill adds to the chicken and the crispiness the chicken gets from both cooking methods.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It is so simple! With less than 10 ingredients and 30 minutes you can have a delicious meal on the table!
- This recipe is naturally paleo, gluten free, dairy free, nut free, soy free, autoimmune protocol (AIP) friendly, and refined sugar free.
- Kids will love this dish!
- I love to pair this dish with my lemon garlic asparagus or easy air fried green beans!
- This would also be paired well with my blackberry mojito mocktail as well!
- This is a great dish to make for your next cookout with friends and family or a simple dinner for during your busy week. The versatility makes it perfect for everyone!
- Honey-I like raw honey from Costco.
- Lemon-I like to roll them prior to using them to help get the juices flowing.
- Garlic-Fresh garlic over dried garlic any day!
- Chicken drumsticks-You can use chicken thighs or chicken breast, however that may impact the grilling times slightly. I love to get all of my protein from Butcher Box. Every month they send me a monthly supply of the best quality proteins. If you use this link HERE you can save on your first box.
- Dijon mustard-I love the dijon and honey mix, however if you are in the elimination phase of the autoimmune protocol/ AIP skip the dijon.
- Avocado oil-This is a great oil for grilling because it has a high smoke point and not much of a taste, however any kind of oil will work.
- Garlic powder-To season the drumsticks.
- Sea salt-To add flavor.
To garnish: (OPTIONAL)
- Red pepper flakes-If you like a kick. Skip this for AIP.
- Fresh herbs-I like chives and green onions.
See the recipe card below for full list of ingredients and measurements.
Substitutions and Variations
- If you like the flavors but aren’t a fan of chicken drumsticks, you can swap it out for chicken breast or chicken thighs.
- You can choose to either grill or bake this dish in the oven.
- If you want more of a honey flavor for the chicken, you could swap out the dijon mustard with honey mustard. This will allow for more of the honey flavor to come through.
This recipe has not been tested with other substitutions or variations. If you replace or add any ingredients, please let us know how it turned out in the comments below!
Step by Step Instructions
- Baking sheet – I love these baking sheets because they are non-toxic and are incredible quality!
- Tip # 1: When you are checking internal temperature of chicken drumsticks, make sure that you do not let the thermometer touch the bone to get an accurate temperature reading.
- Tip # 2: When you are grilling you will want to keep a squirt bottle next to you filled with water. This way if you have any flame ups while grilling you are prepared to spray them out.
- Tip # 3: I like to pour the sauce over the chicken drumsticks as well as serve it on the side. This allows for additional flavor and moisture for the chicken.
I always temp my meats after cooking them. It is the best way to know if it is done. Chicken can be tricky because sometimes it looks raw when it is actually cooked. Chicken should reach 165 degrees F. I love this meat thermometer HERE.
No! You can use any kind of chicken you prefer. I would recommend chicken thighs or butterflying your chicken breast if not using drumsticks to help ensure that they stay moist. I also love making this recipe with chicken wings. Just note the cooking time will change depending on what kind of chicken you use.
I prefer to reheat the chicken in the oven at 350 degrees F for 5-10 minutes. I also like using the air fryer to get these drumsticks nice and crispy!
- This recipe can be stored in an air tight container for up to 5 days in the refrigerator.
Other Chicken Recipes You Will Love
Are you interested in a list of my go to healthy alternatives?
download your FREE guide below
Honey Lemon Garlic Chicken
- Grill or baking sheet
For the drumsticks:
- 4 pounds chicken drumsticks I like Butcher Box! Use my link to save on your first order. You can also use chicken breasts, thighs, or wings.
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
For the sauce:
- red pepper flakes omit for AIP
- green onions
- Heat up the grill to 400 degrees F. If you do not have a grill, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Mix the drumsticks with the oil, salt, and garlic powder. Lay the chicken in a single layer on the grill or on a baking sheet. Cook for 15 minutes, then flip and cook for an additional 15 minutes for a total of 30 minutes or until the chicken reaches 165 degrees F.
- While the chicken is cooking, mix the sauce with a whisk. Once the chicken is done, either use the sauce to dip or to pour over the chicken. Garnish with red pepper, chives, or green onion if desired.