These honey lemon garlic chicken drumsticks scream summer! They go great with just about anything. The dijon mustard combined with the raw honey, garlic and tangy lemon makes for the BEST combination. With this recipe, you can have dinner on the table in 30 minutes.
- Honey-I like raw honey from Costco.
- Lemon-I like to roll them prior to using them to help get the juices flowing.
- Garlic-Fresh garlic over dried garlic any day!
- Chicken drumsticks-You can use chicken thighs or chicken breast, however that may impact the grilling times slightly. I love to get all of my protein from Butcher Box. Every month they send me a monthly supply of the best quality proteins. If you use this link HERE you can save on your first box.
- Dijon mustard-I love the dijon and honey mix, however if you are in the elimination phase of the autoimmune protocol/ AIP skip the dijon.
- Avocado oil-This is a great oil for grilling because it has a high smoke point and not much of a taste, however any kind of oil will work.
- Garlic powder-To season the drumsticks.
- Sea salt-To add flavor.
To garnish: (OPTIONAL)
- Red pepper flakes-If you like a kick. Skip this for AIP.
- Fresh herbs-I like chives and green onions.
How to make honey lemon garlic chicken drumsticks:
- First, coat the drumsticks in avocado oil, garlic powder and sea salt.
- Next, preheat the grill to 350.
- Add the chicken to the grill and grill for 10 minutes, then flip and grill for another 10 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
- While the chicken drumsticks are cooking, mix up the sauce by placing all ingredients in a bowl.
- Once the drumsticks are cooked, place them on a plate and pour the marinade over the chicken. Garnish with fresh herbs
How do you know if chicken is cooked thoroughly?
- I always temp my meats after cooking them. It is the best way to know if it is done. Chicken can be tricky because sometimes it looks raw when it is actually cooked. Chicken should reach 165 degrees F. I love this meat thermometer HERE.
Can I use chicken breasts or thighs?
- Yes! You do not have to use drumsticks, you can use any kind of chicken.
What should I serve this with?
We love eating this recipe with so many sides! They are great for a summer cookout and go well paired with:
- Cucumber Watermelon Salad
- Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
- Strawberry Poppyseed Salad
- Crispy Mini Potatoes
- Whole30 Coleslaw
Honey Lemon Garlic Chicken
- Grill or baking sheet
For the drumsticks:
- 4 pounds chicken drumsticks I like Butcher Box! Use my link to save on your first order. You can also use chicken breasts, thighs, or wings.
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
For the sauce:
- red pepper flakes omit for AIP
- green onions
- Heat up the grill to 400. If you do not have a grill, preheat the oven to 400. Mix the drumsticks with the oil, salt, and garlic powder. Lay the chicken in a single layer on the grill or on a baking sheet. Cook for 15 minutes, then flip and cook for an additional 15 minutes for a total of 30 minutes or until the chicken reaches 165 degrees F.
- While the chicken is cooking, mix the sauce with a whisk. Once the chicken is done, either use the sauce to dip or to pour over the chicken. Garnish with red pepper, chives, or green onion if desired.
- If you enjoyed this recipe it would mean the world to me if you rated it and left a comment below. It helps others find it on google.