We all love those healthy recipes that you would never know are healthy, that is how I feel about this gluten free fried shrimp recipe. This recipe reminds me of my youth! The gluten free breading is crispy yet full of flavor. This recipe is naturally gluten free, paleo, Whole30 and AIP friendly.
What You Need To Make Crispy Gluten Free Fried Shrimp
- Cassava flour-I only use Otto’s cassava flour. Not all cassava flours are made equally.
- Mini shrimp-I like to buy the ones with the tails removed. I also like to order Butcher Box. They have the best wild caught and grass fed protein. If you use my code HERE you can get $30 off your first box.
- Sea salt, onion powder & garlic powder-This seasoning combo adds flavor to these crispy shrimps.
- Old bay seasoning-I love a nice kick to this recipe. Be sure to omit this optional ingredient if you are following the autoimmune protocol as it contains nightshades.
- Coconut milk-The coconut milk is in place of eggs for this recipe. It helps the flour stick.
- Ghee-I love using ghee as a fat of choice here because it gives these shrimp a buttery flavor, however, if you are in the elimination phase of AIP you will want to use avocado oil.
How To Make Gluten Free Fried Shrimp
- This recipe is super simple.
- First, add your fat of choice to a non-stick pan on medium heat. White the pan is heating up and the fat is melting and mix the dry ingredients.
- Now, add the cassava flour, sea salt, garlic and onion powder to a bowl and mix. Add the coconut milk to a separate bowl.
- Once the pan is hot, dip the shrimp into the coconut milk then into the flour mixture. Add to the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side for a total of 6-8 minutes. If the shrimp sticks, cook it for a minute longer.
- If you have remaining shrimp, keep repeating the cooking process. You may need to add more fats to the pan.
Can I Use Olive Oil As My Go To Fat?
- I do not like to use olive oil for frying as it has a low smoke point. It becomes toxic after it reaches a specific temperature. I like to use ghee or avocado oil.
How Can I Reheat?
- You can reheat on the stove with a little bit of ghee/ avocado oil or you can reheat in the oven on 350 for 5-10 minutes.
If you like this recipe, you will LOVE:
Gluten Free Fried Shrimp
- frying pan
- 2 bowls
- 1/2 tsp old bay seasoning Do not use for AIP.
- Place the ghee (or oil) in a large non-stick frying pan on medium heat, make sure the fat is evenly spread throughout the pan. While the pan is heating up, mix the cassava flour, salt, garlic powder and onion powder in a bowl.
- Pour the coconut milk in a separate bowl. Once the pan is hot, dip the shrimp in the coconut milk bowl, then in the flour bowl. Add to the pan. Cook the shrimp for 3 minutes, then carefully flip. If the breading starts to pull off, cook for an additional minute. If you run out of space on your pan, do this in batches. You may need more ghee or oil with each batch.