This Vegan Sweet Potato Mash is a staple in my house. The creamy sweet potatoes combined with coconut milk and dairy free butter is oh so delicious. It is perfect for all occasions and super simple to make. This recipe can be made in the instant pot or on the stovetop.
I am a huge sweet potato fan and make them all the time at home. On our honeymoon one of my favorite dishes was pork tenderloin with sweet potatoes, asparagus, and a red pepper chimichurri. It was so good. It was then that I realized I needed to add my paleo sweet potato mash recipe to my website. This recipe is also perfect for the holidays!
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- This recipe is super easy to make.
- Kids love this side dish! It is perfect and safe for babies too for those of you who like to make homemade baby food.
- This recipe is naturally dairy free, gluten free, soy free, nut free, Whole30, paleo, and autoimmune protocol (AIP) friendly.
- You can prep this recipe ahead of time during the week and use it for meal prep.
- Aside from sweet potatoes, you should have all of the ingredients in this recipe on hand!
- You can even make this recipe from making sweet potatoes in the air fryer.
- Sweet potatoes-I like to get mine from Trader Joe’s but any kind will work. The bigger the sweet potato, the easier it is to peel it. You will want the sweet potatoes washed and peeled prior to cooking. This will make the sweet potato mash smoother. I like to use this peeler set.
- Ghee or olive oil-If you are vegan I suggest olive oil but if you tolerate ghee I love that too! This gets the mash nice and smooth.
- Coconut milk-helps with the smoothness of the mash. You can use any other kind of dairy free milk. Note, if you are doing the autoimmune protocol, be sure to use a coconut milk brand that does not have any additives. I like using Trader’s Joe’s brand.
- Cinnamon-This is a great addition to make this recipe nice and sweet.
- Salt & pepper-For flavor.
- Green onions & chives-This adds a nice savory vibe!
- Coconut milk-You can use any dairy free milk alternative for this. Note that some contain vanilla, unless you want a sweeter sweet potato mash I would use an unsweetened kind.
- Ghee or olive oil- You can also use dairy free butter.
- This recipe has not been tested with any other variations or substitutions. If you try this recipe with any other variations or substitutions, please let me know in the comments below!
Step By Step Instructions
- Tip 1: Make sure the sweet potatoes are completely drained prior to mixing them with the fat and seasonings. You do not want watery sweet potatoes!
- Tip 2: If you are going to use this recipe for meal prep, be sure to allow it to completely cool prior storing in the fridge.
- Tip 3: Your sweet potatoes do not need to be peeled, while they can be peeled the skin is also a really good source of nutritionist.
- I suggest storing this recipe in a glass container in the fridge. Allow the recipe to completely cool prior to putting it in the fridge. This recipe will last up to 7 days in the fridge.
More Recipes You Will Love:
Are you interested in a list of my go to healthy alternatives?
Download your FREE guide below
Vegan Sweet Potato Mash
- instant pot or large pot
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes peeled
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 tbsp olive oil or ghee if not dairy free
For the instant pot version:
- Chop up sweet potatoes into 1/2 inch round coins and add one cup or water to the instant pot with the potatoes. Set to high pressure for 10 minutes. Once the time is up, add the sweet potatoes, oil, and coconut milk to a large bowl and blend with a handheld hand mixer until smooth.
For the stovetop version:
- Chop up sweet potatoes into 1/2 inch round coins and add to a large pot. Fill the pot 3/4 way with water and bring to a boil. Cook for 20-30 minutes or until the potatoes are soft. Once the time is up, add the sweet potatoes, oil, and coconut milk to a large bowl and blend with a handheld hand mixer until smooth.
- Garnish with garnishes of choice if desired.
- If you enjoyed this recipe it would mean the world to me if you rated it and left a comment below. It helps others find it on google.