This vegan sweet potato mash is a staple in my house. The creamy sweet potatoes combined with coconut milk and dairy free butter is oh so delicious. It is perfect for all occasions and super simple to make. This recipe can be made in the instant pot or on the stovetop.
I am a huge sweet potato fan and make them all the time at home. On our honeymoon one of my favorite dishes was pork tenderloin with sweet potatoes, asparagus, and a red pepper chimichurri. It was so good. It was then that I realized I needed to add my paleo sweet potato mash recipe to my website. This recipe is also perfect for the holidays!
- Sweet potatoes-I like to get mine from Trader Joe’s but any kind will work. The bigger the sweet potato, the easier it is to peel it. You will want the sweet potatoes washed and peeled prior to cooking. This will make the sweet potato mash smoother. I like to use this peeler set.
- Ghee or olive oil-If you are vegan I suggest olive oil but if you tolerate ghee I love that too! This gets the mash nice and smooth.
- Coconut milk-helps with the smoothness of the mash. You can use any other kind of dairy free milk. Note, if you are doing the autoimmune protocol, be sure to use a coconut milk brand that does not have any additives. I like using Trader’s Joe’s brand.
Optional add ins:
- Sea salt
- Green onions
How to make vegan sweet potato mash:
This recipe can be made two ways, both are super simple!
Way 1: In the instant pot! I love using my instant pot, it is super simple.
- First, chop up the peeled sweet potatoes into ½ inch thick coins and add the water to the pot.
- Next, place the water and sweet potatoes on high pressure for 10 minutes. Make sure the valve is closed on the top of the instant pot. Note that sometimes it can take 15 minutes for the pot to build up pressure so it will take the time to build up the pressure and then the time to cook it.
- Once the time is up, drain the water from the instant pilot and add the sweet potatoes, dairy free milk, and fat of choice to a bowl. Using a hand held mixer, mix all ingredients together until smooth.
- Fill a large pot with water and add the sweet potato coins to the pot. Bring to a boil and cook for 20-30 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are smooth throughout.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, drain the water from the pot and add the fat and coconut milk to a bowl and blend until smooth with a hand held mixer.
What goes well with this vegan sweet potato mash?
- This sweet potato recipe goes well with just about anything! We love using it around the holidays especially. We like to serve it with steak and chicken.
If you like this recipe, you will LOVE my other side dishes:
- Bacon Brussel Sprouts with Pomegranate
- Bacon Wrapped Asparagus with Garlic Aioli
- Whole30 Mashed Potatoes
Join my online community for FREE and get a weekly newsletter from me.
Vegan Sweet Potato Mash
- instant pot or large pot
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes peeled
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 tbsp olive oil or ghee if not dairy free
For the instant pot version:
- Chop up sweet potatoes into 1/2 inch round coins and add one cup or water to the instant pot with the potatoes. Set to high pressure for 10 minutes. Once the time is up, add the sweet potatoes, oil, and coconut milk to a large bowl and blend with a handheld hand mixer until smooth.
For the stovetop version:
- Chop up sweet potatoes into 1/2 inch round coins and add to a large pot. Fill the pot 3/4 way with water and bring to a boil. Cook for 20-30 minutes or until the potatoes are soft. Once the time is up, add the sweet potatoes, oil, and coconut milk to a large bowl and blend with a handheld hand mixer until smooth.
- Garnish with garnishes of choice if desired.
- If you enjoyed this recipe it would mean the world to me if you rated it and left a comment below. It helps others find it on google.