This New York Strip Steak date night dinner makes takeout steaks taste weak. In this recipe, i go through the step by step process on how to get your steak juicy on the inside, yet crispy on the outside. This well seasoned steak combined with the garlic aioli is oh so delicious. This meal is naturally paleo and whole30 friendly and can be modified to be keto friendly.
Everything You Need To Make This New York Strip Steak Date Night Dinner:
- 2 New York Strip Steaks-I love Butcher Box. Every month they deliver a variety of all of my favorite meats. Everything is grass fed. I love having the meat ready to go in the freezer for quick and easy dinners. They have the best quality around. You can sign up for the monthly steak shipment here.
- Garlic-The fresh garlic is used for serving and garnishing. It adds the most perfect flavor.
- Salt and pepper-This enhances the flavor of the steak while cooking.
- Rosemary-to garnish.
- Ghee-This is what gives the steak the buttery taste. If you are new here, ghee is one of my go-to cooking fats. It is full of flavor and the milk proteins that most are sensitive to are removed. That is why it is paleo and whole30 friendly.
For the mini potatoes:
- 1 pound mini potatoes- I prefer the rainbow ones, because the more colorful your plate is, the more nutrients!
- Sea salt and pepper- to spice up the potatoes.
- Ghee or olive oil-This will allow the potatoes to get crispy.
For the garlic aioli:
- Avocado mayo- Consider avocado mayo a staple in paleo cooking. It is a great alternative for conventional mayo that is loaded with unhealthy fats. I like to get a big bottle at Costco because we go through it so fast but you can also get it here. I also use it to make homemade dressings. Like I said, it is a staple in our kitchen.
- Dijon mustard-This is an added French touch and I am here for it. Dijon is totally optional but in my option it is what gives this garlic aioli a nice kick.
- Lemon juice-Lemon juice is what separates mayo from aioli. Do not skip!
How To Make This Steak Date Night Dinner:
For the potatoes:
- Wash the potatoes and cut them in half. Gently grease with your fat of choice. I love ghee. Now, season. We like to use a little bit of salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 400. Place the potatoes in the oven for 20 minutes, mix the potatoes around and cook for an additional 20 minutes. Moving them around is what makes them crispy.
For the steak date night dinner:
- While the potatoes are cooking and have about 8 minutes left, pat dry your steaks with a paper towel and season well with salt and pepper.
- Now, add ghee to your pan on medium-high heat. Be sure the pan is over and stovetop safe. Either cast iron or ceramic works.
- Add the steaks to the pan and DO NOT TOUCH THEM. Cook for 3 minutes, and then fip with tongs and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
- Now place the steak directly in the oven at 450 degrees for 5 minutes for the steak to slightly be pink in the middle.
- Once you take the steak out of the oven, add the additional ghee and baste it with a turkey baster. Add the fresh garlic on top as well as salt and pepper to taste.
For the aioli:
- While the steak is in the oven make your aioli by mixing all of the ingredients together in a mixing bowl.
If you like this recipe, you will LOVE:
Join my online community for FREE and get a weekly newsletter from me.
New York Strip Steak Date Night Dinner w/ Garlic Aioli
- cast iron or ceramic pan
- baking sheet
- Lemon juicer
- Garlic mincer
Crispy potatoes: (sub broccoli for keto)
- 1 pound mini potatoes
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
For the mini crispy potatoes:
- Preheat the oven to 400. Wash the potatoes and cut them in half. Season the potatoes in a bowl with the ghee, salt, and pepper. Cook the potatoes for 20 minutes, then flip and cook for an additional 20 minutes. Once the potatoes are done preheat the oven to 450.
For the aioli:
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl with a fork or a whisk.
For the steak:
- While the potatoes have about 8 minutes left, start on the steak. Pat dry the steak with a paper towel and season nicely with the salt and pepper. Using an oven safe pan (cast iron or ceramic), add the ghee to the pan on medium high heat (1 tablespoon) and set down the steak. DO NOT MOVE. Let it cook for 3 minutes, then flip it and cook for an additional 3 minutes. The oven should already be preheated to 450 at this point. Add the steak to the oven for 5 minutes. Once the stake is done, add the remaining ghee on top and baste it. Mince the fresh garlic and add on top with optional rosemary to garnish. Add additional salt and pepper to taste.