This Instant Pot Zucchini recipe is super simple to make and can go well with so many dishes! This recipe only requires 5 minutes of hands-on time. I love having this recipe in my back pocket for those nights that I need a quick side dish to complete my meal whether it be zucchini or my Air Fryer Spaghetti Squash. The best part is that this dish can be enjoyed year round!
This dish is still full of flavor even though it uses the simplest of ingredients. The simplicity of the dish also allows it to be easily paired with any protein or dish. I love to pair this dish with my Keto Crab Cakes! The lemon from the zucchini pairs well with the flavors of the crab cakes.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- It is so simple! Even with using all of the optional ingredients it still only puts you at a total of five ingredients!
- This dish is naturally gluten free, paleo, dairy free, grain free, soy free, whole30, vegan, and if you exclude the red pepper flakes it can also be autoimmune protocol (AIP) friendly as well.
- This dish is a great way to get kids to eat more vegetables because the flavors are simple.
- You can have this dish ready to eat within less than 5 minutes including prep time.
- This would pair well with my Honey Lemon Garlic Chicken Drumsticks to make a great summer dish.
- This side dish is versatile and the flavors are simple making it easy to pair with any protein or main dish of your choice.
- Zucchini – You will want to prepare your zucchini by cutting the ends off and then slicing down the middle. From there you will create half moon slices.
- Bone Broth – Using bone broth will help to add additional flavor to the zucchini. You can also use water. The liquid of the bone broth or water will help to steam the zucchini in the instant pot.
- Sea Salt – This will add flavor to the zucchini. I like to use pink Himalayan sea salt.
- Lemon – Fresh squeezed lemon juice will add flavor to the zucchini.
- Red Pepper Flakes – These can be used to add a small amount of heat or spice to the zucchini or can be used as a garnish after you plate the dish.
See the recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and measurements.
Substitutions and Variations
- You can use any of the optional ingredients to add additional flavor to this dish.
- To add additional flavor and color you could also add yellow squash cut into the same shape to this dish.
This recipe has not been tested with other substitutions or variations. If you replace or add any ingredients, please let us know how it turned out in the comments below!
Step by Step Instructions
- Tip # 1: Zucchini’s vary in size. The size of the zucchinis will cause variation in the amount of servings you get with each time making this dish.
- Tip # 2: When slicing your half moons, you will want to ensure the slices are relatively equal thickness so that some don’t need steamed longer than others.
- Tip # 3: When choosing your zucchini in the store, you will want to make sure to choose ones that do not have a lot of soft spots or open areas.
I like having easy vegetables prepped and ready to go in my refrigerator. This easy vegetable goes great with almost anything. I will make a batch at the beginning of the week and serve it with things like chicken piccata, chicken parmesan, or teriyaki chicken.
You can steam zucchini on the stovetop with a steam basket. You can also sauté it in a little bit of avocado oil or cooking oil with salt.
No! You can slice the zucchini anyway you would like. You can do whole coins or cubes as well. Your steam time will just need adjusted.
- This dish can be stored in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Other Vegetable Recipes You Will Love
Want a FREE guide of my go to healthy alternatives?
Instant Pot Zucchini
- Instant Pot
- 6 cups zucchini chopped, roughly 2 large zucchini
- 1/2 cup bone broth or water
To season (optional)
- sea salt
- lemon juice
- red pepper flakes
- Wash and cut the zucchini into half moons. Place the instant pot trivet into the instant pot, then place the steaming basket inside. Pour in the bone broth, then add the zucchini into the steaming basket and set the instant pot to steam for 2 minutes.