This Thai shrimp soup makes for the most perfect comfort meal. This soup is naturally dairy free and creamy from the coconut cream yet it has a nice kick from the red pepper flakes. This soup is naturally keto, paleo, and Whole30 friendly and it can be made autoimmune protocol friendly.
- Wild caught shrimp-I like to get mine in my monthly shipment from Butcher Box. Butcher Box sends me the highest quality proteins right to my door. I pop them in my freezer and take them out prior to cooking. This way I never have to worry about running out of the good quality stuff!
- Coconut cream-I like to use the Trader Joe’s brand. Out of all of the coconut milk/ cream brands out there. I find that this one is the cleanest!
- Red peppers-To add a nice sweet touch. Be sure to omit the autoimmune protocol.
- Yellow onion-Adds a nice sweet crunch.
- Ground ginger-This is WIDELY used in paleo cooking. It adds so much flavor. It is important not to mistake it for dried ginger as the flavor profile is different.
- Red pepper flakes-Gives this soup a nice kick. Be sure to omit for the autoimmune protocol.
- Diced mushrooms-To add extra veggies!
- Lemon juice-To add a dash of citrus.
- Bone broth-So soothing for the gut! I LOVE this brand. Only clean ingredients and it truly tastes the best. You can use my code ALLIANNASKITCHEN with this link to get 20% off. If you are into making your own bone broth, you can check out my recipe here!
- Fish sauce-I like Red Boat, it is naturally gluten free and has the cleanest ingredients.
- Ghee-To saute, if you do not tolerate ghee you can use avocado oil. To save money, check out my homemade version!
How to make:
- For the stockpot version:
- Add the cooking fat to the pot on medium heat, then add the ginger and onion to the pot. This is what flavors the soup!
- Now, add the remaining ingredients and simmer for 5 minutes. Be sure to give the soup a nice mix every few minutes.
- For the instant pot version:
- Place the liquid in the bottom of the instant pot, then add the remaining ingredients. Put the instant pot on the high pressure cook setting and move up the time to 6 minutes. Make sure the vent on the top of the instant pot is closed, or the soup will not cook.
What to serve with this thai shrimp soup:
- I love to dip my homemade Whole30 tortillas in it!
How can I reheat this?
- I suggest reheating it on the stovetop for 5 or so minutes on medium heat while it simmers.
If you like this recipe, you will LOVE my other comfort soup recipes:
- AIP Thai Chicken Soup
- Whole30 Chili
- Almond Butter Chicken Pumpkin Soup
- Whole30 Creamy Curry Chicken Gnocchi Soup
Thai Shrimp Soup
- instant pot or large pot
For the instant pot:
- Place all ingredients in the instant pot, with adding the liquid first. Then, add all other ingredients. Click pressure cook for 6 minutes.
For the stovetop:
- Add the ghee to the pot on medium heat, then add the ginger and onion to the pot. Now, add the remaining ingredients and simmer for 5 minutes. Be sure to give the soup a nice mix every few minutes.
- If you enjoyed this recipe it would mean the world to me if you rated it and left a comment below. It helps others find it on google.