This recipe will teach you how to make clarified butter. This tastes just like store bought, yet is half the cost!
What kind of butter should I use?
- I always use pure Irish butter, it is made from grass fed cows. I like the unsalted kind, but you can for sure use the salted version. Keep in mind if you are doing the autoimmune protocol, Whole30 or are following the paleo diet it must be grass fed. Speaking from experience the grass fed makes a huge difference. My body cannot tolerate non-grass fed dairy.
How to make clarified butter:
- First, cut a stick of butter in half longways then cut into 1 inch squares.
- Next, add the butter to a pan and bring to a simmer. You will start to see the milk proteins come to the top.
- Once the milk proteins rise (foam) to the top, use a spoon and skim them off.
- Remove from the heat and let the ghee cool for 10 minutes.
- Once the ghee cools, add a cheesecloth over a bowl and pour in the ghee. This is an added step to ensure all of the milk proteins are removed.
- Store the ghee in a mason jar in the refrigerator for months.
How to make clarified butter without a cheesecloth?
- Technically once you boil the butter it kills off the milk proteins (lactose and casein) however I am super sensitive and always like to triple check by adding the cheese cloth step.
How long will this ghee last?
- The milk solids in butter is what makes butter go rancid. Because we are removing the milk solids, ghee lasts a lot longer. I like to keep it in the fridge for up to a few months. However, It never lasts that long in my house. We use this recipe for everything!
How to make clarified butter in the microwave:
- You can make this in the microwave. Depending on how much butter you are using I suggest starting off by placing the chopped up butter in the microwave for 5 minutes. At this point it should be brought to a boil and you should be able to see the separate layers. Once you see the layers, skim the top like you would if you were making the ghee on the stove.
What recipe can I use ghee in?
How To Make Clarified Butter
Servings 20 servings203kcal
Print Recipe Pin Recipe
- Mason jar
- 5 sticks grass fed butter I like pure Irish
- Cut the butter in half long ways then chop into 1 inch cubes. Add the butter to a sauce pan on medium heat and bring to a boil. You will see a foam form on the top. Using a spoon skim the foam.
- Once you skim the foam let the ghee cool for 10 minutes. Use a cheesecloth and lay it over a bowl, pour the clarified butter over the cheesecloth and then pour in a mason jar. Store in the fridge.
How to save money when cooking with ghee, make your own!
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 203kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 61mg | Sodium: 202mg | Potassium: 7mg | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 706IU | Calcium: 7mg | Iron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Tag me on instagram @alliannaskitchen!