This Homemade Easy Gluten Free Tomato Soup is a classic dish and has become a favorite in my house. It can be enjoyed any time of the day- a light lunch, snack, or side with dinner. This homemade vegan tomato soup is loaded with flavor, creamy, thick, and super easy to make. It has great health benefits, it is known to boost immunity and is super rich in antioxidants. You will love this Gluten Free Tomato Soup during the upcoming chilly summer and fall months.
I love making homemade tomato soup when I have a ton of extra ripe tomatoes on hand. This recipe is so easy to make that it literally only takes 10 minutes to prepare! My family will eat this recipe with just about anything but my favorite thing to eat it with is my Red Lobster Copy Cat Grain Free Biscuits.
What Makes This Recipe Work
- This homemade, Gluten Free Tomato Soup is SO easy!
- Soups are so tasty and keep you healthy during late Summer and Fall.
- The possibilities are endless – you can serve this with a sandwich, salad, or on its own.
- This recipe is naturally gluten free, grain free, dairy free, vegan, plant based, paleo, soy free, and refined sugar free.
- This soup freezes super well, so if you have a ton of tomatoes on hand cook them down and throw in some soup! My husband loves tomato soup and thinks it is such a treat.
- If you are a tomato lover like me, you will love my Air Fryer Tomato recipe, too!
- Tomatoes– I used Roma tomatoes. These are the elongated, egg-shaped tomatoes. They have meaty flesh and a little amount of seeds. They have a low moisture content, compared to other tomatoes, making them perfect for cooking down into a soup.
- White onion- These have a sweet, mild flavor. If you are swapping for a different onion, I recommend yellow. These two onions are great for cooking, including soups, sauces, and stir frys.
- Coconut milk– Has a mild, creamy flavor that adds a rich undertone to a soup. Trader Joe’s coconut milk is my favorite!
- EVOO– Any cooking fat will work- including avocado oil and ghee. This is used to toss the tomatoes and onion with the seasonings, prior to baking.
- Garlic powder & sea salt– My go-to seasoning for nearly everything. This combination seasons a Gluten Free Tomato Soup perfectly.
See the full recipe card below with a full list of ingredients and measurements.
Substitutions and Variations
- Coconut milk-If you are not dairy free like me you can use regular milk for this recipe.
This recipe has not been tested with any other substitutions or variations. If you replace or add any ingredients, please let us know by leaving a comment below!
Step By Step Instructions
- Ninja food processor or an immersion blender. Either work well!
- Sheet pan.
- Cutting board.
- Tip #1: Always line your sheet pan with parchment paper to prevent ruining your pan.
- Tip #2: Ripe tomatoes make for the best tomato soup! You can tell if your tomatoes are ripe by touching them. When they are ripe they will be slightly soft to touch.
- Tip #3: Be sure to season the soup to your liking! I love a ton of seasoning so I like adding a good bit of salt.
- Tip #4: Make sure your veggies are cool to touch prior to blending!
An immersion blender is a handheld blender. It makes life so much easier for making soups and sauces. Instead of having to pour everything in the blender, you can leave everything in a bowl and using the handheld blender to blend it.
Kind of. If you are buying pure ingredients, then yes it is gluten free. However, so many products have hidden additives in them and secret names of ingredients like gluten. Be sure to read your labels!
- If you are like me and love to enjoy homemade tomato soup all year round, you will want to freeze this homemade soup in small batches so you can enjoy it all year around. This soup will last for up to 2 months in the freezer.
- This recipe can last in the fridge for up to 7 days.
- To ensure freshness, be sure to store this soup in an air tight container. It is best to allow it to cool prior to placing it in the fridge and or freezer.
Other Gluten Free Soups You Will Love
Be sure to download my go to anti-inflammatory guide with all of my favorite healthy swaps!
Gluten Free Tomato Soup
- large pot
- Food processor
- Sheet pan
- 3 lbs Roma tomatoes cut into 4ths
- 1 white onion chopped
- 1/4 cup coconut milk or regular milk will work
- 2 tbsp EVOO
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Chop the onions. Cut the tomatoes into halves or fourths. Add to a lined sheet pan. Drizzle EVOO and sprinkle garlic powder & sea salt over the tomatoes and onions.
- Place sheet pan in the oven for 25-30 minutes. Dump the tomatoes and onions into a pot over medium heat on the stove. Add the coconut milk. Stir together and bring to a boil.
- Pour contents into the food processor. Pulse for 10 seconds or until you reach your desired thickness.