This Gluten Free Lasagna is something the whole family will love and eat. The creamy cashew cheese combined with the hearty beef red sauce is to die! This recipe can be made easily dairy free or with regular cheese and can be prepped ahead of time which makes it a great weeknight dinner.
What Makes This Recipe So Good?
- First off, this recipe is just delightful. The creamy cashew cream combined with the gluten free noodles and beef red sauce is so good!
- This recipe can be made with any kind of gluten free noodles- no bake or boil ones.
- I love this recipe because the cashew cheese tastes just like ricotta cheese, no one even knows it is dairy free. That said, it can be made with real cheese too if that is your thing.
- It is a great recipe to prepare in advance, which means it is a great weeknight meal. I like to make my lasagnas on the weekend and then bake them during the week.
- This recipe is naturally dairy free, gluten free, soy free and can be made vegan if you omit the meat.
- If you like this recipe you will LOVE my Paleo Pizza Casserole recipe which is made with the same cashew cream.
- This recipe only takes 30 minutes to prepare, which means even if you do not make it ahead of time it is still a doable meal during the week.
- Gluten free lasagna noodles-There are luckily so many gluten free noodles nowadays. I like the Taste Republic brand. Their noodles do not require baking which is so nice! There are also a few good other brands out there. Jovial makes a gluten free lasagna noodle but they do require boiling.
- Ground beef-This is my meat of choice. You can split it in half between beef and pork, use turkey or chicken instead. Any kind of protein will work for this. If you are vegan, just skip the meat. I love getting my beef from Butcher Box. If you use my link you can save on your first order.
- Red sauce-I love Rao’s marinara sauce. While it is a little pricier in comparison to other brands, it is so worth the cost! In my opinion it is simply the best. You can get Roa’s at Sam’s Club or Costco which is a little cheaper than the regular grocery store.
- Fresh parsley-For taste.
- Garlic powder, salt, pepper-To taste.
- Eggs-To help hold everything together.
Optional Lasagna Add In’s:
- Mushrooms-I love mushrooms in my lasagna, you do not need to cook your mushrooms beforehand if you decide to use them.
- Nutritional least-To sprinkle on top in place of cheese. If you eat regular cheese, you can sprinkle fresh parmesan.
How To Make Dairy Free Lasagna With Cashew “Cheese”:
- There are two options for the cheese. You can use regular ricotta or you can make my homemade cashew cheese. Cashew cheese is personally my favorite!
- If you are using regular ricotta, you can buy any kind.
- For the cashew cheese, you will need the following:
- Cashews-I like to soak my cashews overnight. This makes them much easier to blend.
- Lemon-To add some flavor.
- Olive oil & water-To get the cashew cheese smooth.
- Garlic and salt-For flavor.
How To Make:
- First, preheat the oven to 350.
- If you are using regular boil needed gluten free lasagna noodles, boil your noodles according to the recommendations on the box. Once the noodles are done, drain them, then lay them out on a paper towel in a single layer to allow them to cool. If you are using no boil noodles, skip this step!
- Now, make your protein. If you are making your lasagna vegan, skip. To cook your protein, add the beef, salt, garlic powder, and pepper to a skillet on medium heat. Cook the protein until it is no longer pink. Once it is no longer done, drain the fat and set aside.
- Next, add all of the red sauce to the skillet of beef except 2 cups (we will use this for the bottom of the casserole dish.)
- Place all ingredients for the cashew cheese in a blender and blend for 3-4 minutes until it gets nice and smooth. You may need to scrape down the sides during the time it is blending. Once the cheese is blended add the cashew cheese, eggs, and fresh parsley to a bowl and mix.
- Now, add the 1.5 cups of plain sauce to the bottom of the casserole dish, and then add a layer of noodles.
- Once the noodles are laid, add a layer of the meat sauce and then add 12 scoops of cashew cheese.
- Next, add another layer of noodles, and re-do with step 7 until you have about ½ inch left from the top.
- Once you are on the last layer, add just a layer of the sauce *without meat) on top.
- Finally bake covered with foil in the oven for 40 minutes.
- Allow the lasagna to cool for 20 minutes prior to cutting into it to prevent it from falling apart.
What Kind Of Casserole Dish Should I Use?
- I suggest a 9 by 13 casserole dish. You want to make sure your dish is big enough so that the lasagna cooks evenly.
What Should I Serve With It?
- I love eating my lasagna with a fresh salad and homemade garlic bread. My Vegan Garlic Bread is my absolute favorite!
How Long Does Lasagna Last In The Fridge?
- I suggest eating this dish within 5 days.
How Should I Reheat It?
- I love reheating in the oven at 350 for 10-15 minutes.
How Can I Make A Vegetarian Gluten Free Lasagna?
- It is simple, just skip the meat!
- Be sure to allow the lasagna to cool for at least 20 minutes prior to serving. This will prevent it from falling part!
If you like this recipe, you will LOVE my other gluten free casserole recipes on my blog:
If you enjoyed this recipe it would mean the world to me if you rated it and left a comment below. It helps others find it on google.xoxo-Allianna
Join my online community for FREE and get a weekly newsletter from me.
Gluten Free Lasagna
- 9 by 13 casserole dish
- high speed food processor
For the lasagna:
- 1 package gluten free lasagna noodles I love the no boil taste republic brand. They are in the refrigerated part of the grocery store. Any kind of gluten free lasagna noodles will work!
- 2 pounds ground beef I like Butcher Box. Use my link and save on your first order. You can also sub with ground chicken or pork. If you are vegan, skip!
- 48 ounces red sauce I like Roa's, so worth the price!
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley
- 1 tsp garlic powder skip if you are not using meat
- 1/2 tsp sea salt skip if you are not using meat
- 1/2 tsp black pepper skip if you are not using meat
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast to sprinkle on top
- 5 cups ricotta cheese see below for my go to dairy free substitute
- 1 cup mushrooms sliced, OPTIONAL
- 2 eggs
For the cashew cheese:
- 3 cups raw cashews I like to soak mine in water overnight to allow them to get night and soft. This is not a must but highly recommended.
- 4 lemons juiced
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350. If you are using hard lasagna noodles, cook them according to the box, drain and then lay them out to cool. If you are using no bake noodles, skip this step.
- Now, make your meat sauce. Add your ground protein to a pan with sea salt, pepper and garlic powder. Break the meat apart and cook so it is no longer pink. One the meat is cooked, add in all of the red sauce except 3 cups (to use for the bottom and top of the lasagna.)
- If you are making your own cashew cheese, place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth for about 4 minutes. You may need to scrape down the sides in the middle of blending to get everything mixed. Once the cheese is mixed, place the eggs and parsley in a bowl with the cheese and mix until smooth.
- Put 1.5 cups of red sauce in the bottom of a casserole dish. Spread out the sauce in a thin layer. Then, add a single layer of the noodles to the bottom of the pan. Now, add a layer of the meat sauce, (optional mushrooms) and using a spoon add 12 "blobs" of cashew cheese. I prefer the blobs rather than spreading it out. Now add another layer of noodles. Do this on repeat until you have about 1/2 inch room at the top of the dish. For your last layer add the plain red sauce on top (should be 1.5 cups left) and sprinkle with nutritional yeast. Bake for 45 minutes (adjust if you are using a smaller or larger pan) covered with foil. Allow the lasagna to sit for 20 minutes prior to serving. If you enjoyed this recipe it would mean the world to me if you rated it and left a comment below. It helps others find it on google.xoxo-Allianna