This pan seared filet mignon with a creamy mushroom sauce is everything you need for date night. The filet mignon in this recipe is crispy on the outside and oh so juicy on the inside. The creamy white sauce combined with the mushrooms makes this recipe oh so delicious. This recipe is quick and easy, you can have dinner on the table in 30 minutes. This recipe is naturally paleo, Whole30, and keto friendly. It can be made AIP friendly with one simple modification.
What You Need To Make This Pan Seared Filet Mignon With Creamy Mushroom Sauce:
For the pan seared filet mignon:
- (2) 6-8 ounces filet mignon steaks- I like using Butcher Box. They ship you a monthly supply of grass fed meats every month. I find their quality is the absolute best. I can taste a difference in the steak too. If you use my link HERE, you can get $30 off your first order.
- Pink sea salt & pepper- This is what is used to seasoned the steaks. If you are doing AIP, be sure to omit the black pepper.
- Ghee- I like using ghee in place of butter to give my dishes the buttery flavor.
For the Creamy Mushroom Sauce:
- Mushrooms-This are a necessity! This is what makes the mushroom sauce 🙂
- Ghee-Again, this is what makes the buttery taste in the sauce. If you can tolerate dairy, you could use regular butter.
- Purple onion & garlic- Adds so much flavor! In my opinion, the more garlic the better.
- Lemon juice-This is a must. This will add a kick to the sauce. Without this, the sauce is bland.
- Bone broth & almond milk-This is what gives that sauce that creamy flavor. If you are doing AIP, you can use full fat coconut milk.
- Water & arrowroot- Arrowroot is similar to cornstarch in paleo cooking. It is a staple in my house. We use it to thicken up our sauces.
How To Make This Pan Seared Filet Mignon With The Creamy Mushroom Sauce?
For the steak:
- First, preheat the oven to 400.
- Next, pat the steaks dry with a paper towel and add the salt and pepper to both sides.
- Now, put a non-stick pan on the stove to medium heat, let it warm up for 2 minutes. Add the ghee.
- Add the steaks to the pan and let them cook for 5 minutes on each side for a total of 10 minutes. If you like your steak more pink, stick to a total of 10 minutes. If you like it more well done, do 7 minutes on each side.
- Once the steak is done baste it with the ghee sauce and wrap in foil for 5 minutes prior to eating.
For The Sauce:
- Saute the onion and garlic in the ghee in a non-stick pan for 3 minutes.
- Next, add the mushrooms, lemon juice, dairy free milk and bone broth to the pan and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- While the mushrooms are cooking make the arrowroot mixture. Add the arrowroot to a bowl of water and whisk together continuously until a white mixture forms. Once the mushrooms are done, turn off the heat and add the mixture to the pan while whisking together. Let the sauce sit and thicken for 5 minutes prior to serving.
Additional info for cooking the steak:
- 5 minutes on each side (10 minutes total) for medium-rare.
- 6 minutes on each side (12 minutes total) for medium.
- 7 minutes on each side (14 minutes total) for medium-well.
If you like this recipe, you will LOVE:
- Paleo New York Strip Steak With Garlic Aioli
- Whole30 Banh Mi Steak Bowl
- Keto and Whole30 Shaved Steak Fajita Salad
Join my online community for FREE and get a weekly newsletter from me.
Pan Seared Filet Mignon
- non stick skillet or cast iron pan
For the steaks:
For the mushroom sauce:
- fresh thyme
- fresh garlic
- pink sea salt
- pepper omit for aip
For the mushroom sauce:
- Saute the onions in ghee for about 3 minutes on medium heat. Add the mushrooms, salt, pepper, bone broth, dairy free milk, and lemon juice to the pan. cook for about 5 minutes or until mushrooms are cooked/soft.
- While the mushrooms are cooking make the arrowroot mixture. Add the water and arrowroot to a bowl and continuously whisk for 60 seconds. Once the mushrooms are cooked, turn off the heat. Add the arrowroot mixture it within the mushroom sauce for 60 seconds. Let the sauce sit for 5 minutes. This is what will thicken the sauce.
For the steak:
- Grab a large oven safe non-stick skillet and add it to the stovetop on medium-high heat. Add the ghee. Pat dry the steaks with a paper towel and coat with the sea salt and pepper on both sides. Add the steaks to the pan and cook for 5 minutes, then flip the steak with tongs and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Once the steak is done, baste again with the ghee in the pan, add additional fresh garlic, salt and pepper to taste. Wrap the steak in foil for 5 minutes after it is cooked and prior to eating. See instructions above and below for cooking times based on how you like your steak cooked.