This paleo and whole30 pizza chicken has become a staple in my meal rotation for my personal chef clients. The almond cream combined with the turkey pepperoni makes this dish oh so delicious. This recipe includes two different options for the almond cream. The first being the store bought easy option and the second including how to make your own. This recipe isn’t just for adults, it is super kid friendly too! With the prep time only taking 15 minutes, it is the perfect weeknight dinner option.
This recipe was originally published on August 22nd 2019, and updated on November 30th to improve user experience.
What You Need To Make Whole30 Pizza Chicken:
- Chicken breasts: Ideally at least 4 big ones, you can choose to keep them whole or cut them in half. It is your preference. You will want to hit the chicken with a meat tenderize prior to stuffing the chicken. This makes the chicken more tender and softer.
- Almond cream: You have two options here. The first being the store bought kind. I love Kite Hill almond cream. It has become a staple in my house. In my numerous times doing the whole30 I eat it. Even when I am not doing the whole30 I prefer it over regular cream cheese, the taste is richer. If you are into making your own, I included that option too. It is very simple. However, it requires rest time of one hour. To make the homemade version you will need blanched almonds (almonds without the skin) water, lemon and salt.
- Pepperoni: This is optional. If you have a local butcher or a higher end grocery store there is a pretty high chance they will have meat without all of the added additives. Most store bought name brands of meat are not whole30 approved because of all of the additives.
- Pizza sauce: Rao’s is my go to favorite for all paleo and whole30 recipes.
- Spices: Do not skip, this is what will give this dish the added pizza touch!
Can I Use Chicken Tenderloins?
- I suggest sticking to the chicken breasts because they are easier to stuff. Chicken tenderloins tend to be thinner which makes them hard to stuff.
How To Make Whole30 Pizza Chicken:
- Preheat the oven to 400.
- Then, with a meat tenderizer, hit the chicken breast so it is about ½ inch thick.
- Cut each breast in half.
- Using a knife, cut a slit in the breasts (not too much so the top falls off, but just enough so you can create a flap to stuff the almond cream and pizza sauce & spices.)
- Now, mix the spices in a mixing bowl.
- Put the almond cream and pizza sauce in their own separate bowl.
- Grab 3 spoons and place one in the spice bowl, pizza sauce bowl, and almond cream. Set the pepperoni out.
- Divide up the almond cream, pepperoni, spices and sauce in between the pieces of chicken. Once they are stuffed, pull down the flap.
- Cook the chicken in the oven at 425 for 18 minutes or until a meat thermometer reaches 165 degrees F.
What To Serve With Whole30 Pizza Chicken:
How Can I Store And Reheat This Dish?
- You can store the chicken in an airtight container for up to 5 days in the fridge. I suggest reheating the chicken up in the toaster oven or oven on 350 for 5-10 minutes.
If you like this recipe, you will LOVE:
Join my online community for FREE and get a weekly newsletter from me.
Pizza Chicken (Whole30, Paleo, Keto)
- Food processor (if opting to make your own cheese)
- 4 bowls
- baking dish
- 4 spoons
For the chicken:
- 2 pounds chicken breast
- 1 cup pizza sauce I like Rao's whole30 pizza sauce. It is compliant.
Italian spice mix:
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
For the "cheese" 2 options. I personally eat Kite Hill's almond cream cheese while doing whole30 (see more on this above) but if you aren't a fan of the store bought, you can make your own. OR if you are not dairy free you can use regular cream cheese. See below.
OPTION 1: (easy and saves time, I prefer this over the homemade)
- 1 container Kite Hill almond cream cheese
OPTION 2: (requires 1 hour of chilling time)
- 1 cup blanched almonds soaked in water overnight
- 4 tsp lemon juice
- 6 tbsp water
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 12 pieces pepperoni must be whole30 compliant if you are doing whole30, if you cannot find whole30 complaint meat, you can skip.
For the homemade almond cream:
- Soak the almonds overnight in a bowl of water.
- After the almonds are soaked and drained place them in the food processor with lemon juice, water and salt.
- Place the mixture in the fridge for 1 hour prior to serving.
For the pizza chicken itself:
- Preheat the oven to 400.
- Hit the meat with a meat tenderizer. This will make the chicken soft.
- Cut a slit in the chicken. You do not want to cut it all the way through, but just enough so you can stuff it. the slit should be cut horizontal. See the pictures above for help.
- Divide up the almond cream, spices, and sauce, Stuff the chicken breasts.
- Now bake for 33 minutes.
- ENJOY! If you make this recipe I would love it if you shared the link to this recipe with a friend, left a comment below or tagged me on instagram with a picture @alliannaskitchen