These homemade Vegan Twix Bars are super simple to make and great for a great healthier candy bar alternative! The yummy dairy free caramel sauce combined with sweet chocolate ganache is oh so delicious. This recipe only takes 20 minutes to prep and freezes so well which means this is a great batch friendly baking treat.
What Makes These Vegan Twix Bars So Good?
- First off, my husband (who still sometimes eats regular candy) says they taste like the real thing.
- Secondly, they freeze so well. If you are like me you probably like to keep a few desserts on hand in the house so you never run out. I have a nice little stash of these homemade candy bars in my freezer.
- I love making these bars for date night of a Valentine’s Day treat!
- Lastly, the homemade shortbread combined with the dairy free chocolate ganache and homemade caramel is super simple to make, yet such an elegant homemade dessert!
Paleo Twix Bar Ingredients:
For the gluten free shortbread cookie crust-
- Almond flour: This is the base of the shortbread crust.
- Maple syrup: To help hold everything together.
- Vanilla-For flavor.
- Coconut oil-To make it soft.
- Sea salt-For flavor.
For the dairy free caramel sauce–
- Coconut sugar: Maple sugar will also work.
- Coconut milk: Or almond milk.
- Arrowroot powder: To thicken the sauce.
For the dairy free chocolate ganache-
- Dairy free chocolate chips: I love the Enjoy Life brand but any kind will work. If you are not dairy free you can use regular chocolate chips.
- Dairy free milk-This helps make the ganache nice and silky! If you are not dairy free, you can use regular milk.
How To Make Homemade Vegan Twix Bars:
- First, decide if you are going to use the bar molds or an 8 by 8 pan. Either will work perfectly but make sure you don’t try another pan size.
- Next, preheat the oven to 350 and mix together all of the shortbread ingredients.
- If you are using the 8 by 8 pan, line it with wax paper. If you are using the bar molds, skip this step.
- Next, evenly divide up the shortbread between the molds or spread it out evenly in a layer in the 8 by 8 pan.
- Now, place it in the oven for 10 minutes. Once the 10 minutes it up allow the shortbread to cool for 10 minutes and begin making the caramel sauce.
- To make the caramel sauce, place all ingredients in a saucepan on medium heat and bring to a simmer while continuously whisking. Then, pour it over the shortbread layer evenly. Remember we hve to add a chocolate layer so leave room for that!
- Place the bar molds or the 8 by 8 pan in the freezer for it to harden.
- Now, make the dairy free chocolate sauce by placing the chocolate and milk in a microwave friendly bowl for 30 seconds. Take the sauce out of the microwave and mix with a whisk, then microwave again for 30 seconds and whisk again. Now place it back in the microwave for 30 seconds and whisk. At this point the chocolate sauce should be nice and silky.
- Pour the sauce over the caramel layer and place back in the freezer for at least 5 hours or overnight.
- Once you are ready to serve, either pop out of the molds and eat or pull the wax paper out and cut into 8 bars.
- OPTIONAL: add sea salt to sprinkle on top.
What Kind Of Mold Should I Use?
- I love using these bar molds HERE because they are so fun but you can also use an 8 by 8 pan. Do not use a smaller or lager pan because it may mess up the size of the homemade candy bars.
How Should I Store These?
- These bars must be stored in the cold! I prefer to store mine in the freezer but the fridge will also work.
If you liked this recipe, you will LOVE my other dairy free chocolate desserts:
If you enjoyed this recipe it would mean the world to me if you rated it and left a comment below. It helps others find it on google.xoxo-Allianna
Vegan Twix Bars
- 8 by 8 baking casserole dish or something with the same area.
For the caramel:
- 1.5 cups coconut milk
- 1 cups coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp arrowroot powder
For the chocolate sauce:
- 2 cups dairy free chocolate I like the enjoy life brand
- 1/3 cup almond milk or coconut milk
- First, preheat the oven to 350 and place the shortbread ingredients in a bowl and mix. Either line ab 8 by 8 casserole dish with wax paper or use bar molds (notes above on this) Divide up the shortbread into the bar molds or spread evenly in the casserole dish and bake for 10 minutes.. Place all ingredients for the caramel sauce in a sauce pan and bring to a boil on medium heat-once it comes to a boil, turn down to simmer while constantly whisking. After 5 minutes is up, turn off the heat.
- Allow the shortbread to cool for 10 minutes, then pour the caramel sauce on top. Now place in the freezer for 30 minutes. Once the 25 minute mark approaches, make the ganache sauce. Place the chocolate chips and milk in the microwave for 30 seconds, then whisk, and place in the microwave for another 30 seconds, whisk again and place in the microwave for a final 30 seconds. The chocolate should be smooth at this point.
- Now pour the chocolate on top of the caramel layer and place the twix bars back in the freezer for at least 5 hours. Then cut into bars. Store in the fridge. If you enjoyed this recipe it would mean the world to me if you rated it and left a comment below. It helps others find it on google.xoxo-Allianna