These Chocolate Covered Oranges are seriously to die for! They are the perfect combination of sweet, salty, and tart. The silky chocolate combined with the sea salt and citrus oranges is quite delicious. This homemade dessert can be made in 15 minutes or less and will save you money over buying store bought desserts.
This homemade treat is one of my go to’s during citrus season. Citrus season tends to fall between January and April. This recipe was inspired by my best friend who loves oranges and has a winter birthday.
What Makes This Recipe Work
- First off, if you have never experienced a sweet and tart dessert, you will want to try this one! This combination is like no other.
- Secondly, this dessert is super easy and quick. It only takes minutes to make.
- This recipe is naturally gluten free, grain free, soy free and paleo. This recipe can also be made dairy free and vegan by using dairy free chocolate.
- You can make this dessert ahead of time when you have guests.
- This recipe is super kid friendly. In fact kids love it!
- If you like this recipe as much as I do, you will want to check out my Chocolate Covered Strawberries.
- Clementines-I like using mini oranges (clementines) for this dessert because they are more bite sized! Make sure they are peeled.
- Chocolate chips-I like milk chocolate over dark chocolate. Make sure you choose chocolate chips over a chocolate bar because it will melt easier.
- Sea salt-I love the combination of sweet and salty! This adds such a nice touch.
See the recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and measurements.
Substitutions And Variations
- Chocolate chips-I am dairy free so I tend to only buy dairy free chocolate. I like the Hu and Enjoy Life chocolate brand, however any kind of dairy free chocolate chips will work.
- Clementines-Any kind of orange slices will work. I like clementines because they are small.
This recipe has not been tested with any other substitutions or variations. If you test it out, let me know what you think and how it turned out in the comments below!
Step By Step Instructions
- Tip #1: Do not burn your chocolate! You must cook the chocolate in 30 second increments or else the chocolate will burn.
- Tip #2: Make sure you tear all of the white pieces off of the oranges.
This recipe lasts in the fridge for up to 5 days. Make sure that you store them in an air tight container to ensure they stay fresh.
Unfortunately oranges do not freeze well.
You will need to throw it away and start over.
The key is cooking it slowly and whisking in between.
- I suggest storing this recipe in a glass container.
Other Dessert Recipes You Will Love
Are you interested in a list of my go to healthy alternatives?
Download your FREE guide below
Chocolate Covered Oranges
- Sheet pan
- microwave friendly bowl
- 1 cup chocolate I like Enjoy Life dairy free chocolate
- 2 clementines peeled and pulled apart
- sea salt OPTIONAL-to sprinkle
- Place a piece of wax paper on a baking sheet. Place the chocolate in the microwave in a microwave safe bowl for 30 seconds. Then whisk after 30 seconds. Do this again 3 times. You must whisk in between so that the chocolate does not burn.
- Once the chocolate is done, dip the clementines in the chocolate and place on a sheet pan. Sprinkle with optional sea salt. If you are not serving right away place in the fridge to allow the oranges to set.