This AIP gelatin egg alternative is my go to when making AIP treats. This allergy friendly alternative is quick, easy, and can be made with ingredients that you likely have on hand at home. This is the perfect alternative for anyone with an egg allergy or following the autoimmune protocol.
Ingredients For A Gelatin Egg:
- Gelatin-This is my go to brand of use for gelatin eggs. I have not tested out any other kind of brands with this recipe and in any of my baked goods.
- Water-I like to be sure I use purified water.
My Go To Gelatin Brand I Use:
- I always use Great Lakes! See the picture below.
How To Make A Gelatin Egg:
- First, heat up water on the stove or in the microwave to make it warm to touch.
- Place the gelatin in a small bowl.
- Now, slowly add in the warm water and whisk fast! If you wait to whisk it, it will clump together and be ruined. You must whisk right away. I like to use this mini whisk.
- Then let the egg sit for 2 minutes, allowing it to set before using.
What Is Gelatin?
- Gelatin is made from ground up animal tissues-the bones, tendons, and ligaments. Gelatin is one of those ingredients that is highly recommended on the Paleo Autoimmune Protocol.
Can I Use This Egg As An 1:1 Egg Replacement:
- The short answer is no. Yes this egg replacement does work like an egg in recipes but it does not always work out to be 1:1.
- In my experience I have only been able to use 4 gelatin eggs max in a baking recipe or it gets too clumpy.
- Egg free baking is different from regular baking. Oftentimes the egg replacement is paired with another wet or binding ingredient like tapioca flour and/or applesauce.
If you like this recipe, you will LOVE these recipes using gelatin eggs:
Gelatin Egg | AIP Egg Alternative
- mini whisk
- 1 tbsp gelatin
- 3 tbsp hot purified water
- Warm up water in the microwave on the stovetop so it becomes warm to touch. Add the collagen to a bowl, slowly add in the water. Start whisking right away with either a fork or a mini whisk until the collagen is dissolved. Let the egg sit for 2 minutes allowing it to set prior to using.