This AIP banana bread is both paleo and allergen friendly. Crispy on the outside and smooth and soft on the inside, this banana bread recipe is perfect for breakfast or an after school snack.
Ingredients for AIP Banana Bread:
- Arrowroot, coconut, and cassava flour-Do not substitute out this flour blend! Not all gluten free flours are created equally.
- Applesauce-The applesauce in combination with the gelatin egg is what replaces the egg in this recipe.
- Maple syrup-Maple syrup is my go to sweetener in this recipe, you can use honey if you would like but the flavor will not be as dense.
- Ripe bananas-Make sure your bananas are ripe! I like to make sure the bananas are black on the outside and nice and soft.
- Regular banana-The regular banana (not over-ripe) is to be used for the garnish.
- Ginger-The fresh ginger gives this banana bread some spice.
- Olive oil-I love using olive oil in baking rather than any other oil. You may substitute this recipe with coconut oil if desired.
- Cinnamon-This adds an additional layer of zest to the recipe when paired with the fresh ginger.
- Vanilla powder-Vanilla powder is used in place of vanilla extract in AIP cooking. There is no alcohol in it. When choosing a brand, make sure the powder is brown and isn’t mixed with anything. It should not be white, if it is, that means it is mixed with sugar.
- Gelatin-Gelatin is used in many AIP recipes as an egg alternative.
- Baking soda & powder-These two ingredients are responsible for helping this bread rise.
How To Make AIP Banana Bread
- This recipe is super simple, however it cannot be rushed. It needs to be cooked nice and slow.
- First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Mix all of the dry ingredients in a bowl and mix all of the wet ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Then, mix the wet and dry ingredients together.
- After mixing the wet and dry together it is time to make the gelatin egg.
- Add the gelatin to a small bowl. Slowly add the hot water to the bowl of the gelatin and whisk together. Be sure to whisk fast or the egg alternative will clump up. If it does clump, you will have to start over.
- Now it is time to add the egg to the banana mixture, be sure to whisk the egg into the bread mix.
- Now, line the bread pan with wax paper. This will help prevent the bread from sticking. Spray the wax paper with cooking oil spray. I like using Trader Joe’s olive oil.
- Slowly pour in the banana bread mix. If desired you can add your banana garnish. To add the garnish, cut the banana in half long ways and lay it on top of the batter.
- Cook in the oven for an hour and a half. Remember that this recipe is supposed to be really soft so it will still be moist in the middle when it is done.
If you like this recipe, you will LOVE:
Join my online community for FREE and get a weekly newsletter from me.
AIP Banana Bread (Paleo, AIP, Allergy Friendly)
- Bread pan
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- Mini whisk or fork
- 4 whole bananas 3 really ripe, 1 just ripe to garnish
- 1 cup cassava flour
- 1/2 cup arrowroot flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp vanilla powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
For the gelatin egg:
- 2 tbsp gelatin I like this brand
- 1/3 cup hot water
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place all dry ingredients on a bowl and whisk, set aside. In a separate bowl, mix all wet ingredients. Slowly combine the two bowls.
- In the meantime, whisk up your gelatin egg. Slowly add the hot water to the gelatin and whisk together. Be sure to move fast or the egg alternative will stick and you will have to start over. Add the egg to the mixture and whisk together.
- Line the bread pan with wax paper on both side. Spray the wax paper with the cooking oil spray. Gently pour in your batter. Cut the remaining banana in half long ways and lay on top to garnish. Cook the banana bread in the oven for 1 hour and 30 minutes. Do not be alarmed if the bread still looks soft on the inside when you cut into it. It is supposed to be super moist.