These Gluten Free Cannoli Cupcakes are super easy and fun to make! The almond flour based cupcakes paired with the smooth and silky dairy free vanilla frosting is delightful. You can have these cupcakes on the table within 45 minutes.
Cannoli’s are super popular around the holidays, especially Christmas in an Italian home. Growing up in an Italian household these were always a staple. Once I went gluten free I was dying to find a fun alternative that I could safely eat, so I came up with this recipe!
What Makes This Recipe So Good?
- First off, the moist almond flour cupcake combined with the silky vanilla frosting is so delightful. The chocolate chips on top is definitely the icing on the cake!
- This recipe is naturally dairy free, gluten free, grain free and paleo friendly.
- These cupcakes only take 45 minutes to make and require 15 minutes of hands on time which means they are super easy to make!
- You can prepare these cupcakes in advance and they taste just as good.
- If you are a cupcake lover like me, you will also love my Paleo Strawberry Frosted Cupcakes.
- I love making these cupcakes during the holiday season. They are such a fun twist on traditional cannoli yet they are gluten and grain free.
For the gluten free cupcake-
- Almond flour-This is the base of these cupcakes. Please note that not all gluten free flours are equal so it is important that you stick to almond flour in this recipe. I love getting my fine almond flour from Costco. I have found that you can get the best bang for your buck there.
- Tapioca flour-This helps bind everything together.
- Coconut flour-I like using a blend of flours when I bake because I find it makes the most stable cake. It also adds a tad of sweetness to baked goods.
- Coconut sugar-To sweeten these cupcakes.
- Baking soda-To help the cupcakes rise.
- Sea salt-To taste.
For the dairy free frosting-
- Palm oil shortening-This is the base of the frosting. Palm shortening is palm oil with some of the fat removed. When you remove the fat it thickens the mixture, and smooth which makes it perfect for frosting.
- Coconut flour-To help thicken the frosting. Without the coconut flour the frosting would be far too thin.
- Honey-To sweeten the frosting. You can also use maple syrup but note that it may change the color. I suggest using a lighter colored honey.
- Vanilla-To add some flavor.
- Chocolate chips-I love the dairy free chocolate chips from Enjoy Life!
Step By Step How To Make:
- First preheat the oven to 350.
- Line a cupcake pan with muffin liners.
- Now, mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Then mix all of the wet ingredients in a separate bowl, now mix the two until smooth.
- Divide up the muffin batter into the 12 cupcake liners and bake for 15 minutes.
- While the cupcakes are baking, add all of the frosting ingredients to a bowl and mix with a food processor until smooth. Roughly 30 seconds.
- Once the cupcakes come out of the oven, allow them to cook for 15 minutes.
- Once the cupcakes are cooled, frost the cupcakes and sprinkle chocolate chips on top.
How Long Do These Cupcakes Last?
- These cupcakes last for up to a week in the fridge.
- Do not frost your cupcakes until they are cooled, if you frost them while they are warm the frosting will melt off.
- Make sure you keep them stored wrapped in the fridge to prevent them from spoiling. I like using a large glass container to store my cupcakes in.
If you like this recipe, you will LOVE my other gluten free desserts:
If you enjoyed this recipe it would mean the world to me if you rated it and left a comment below. It helps others find it on google.xoxo-Allianna
Join my online community for FREE and get a weekly newsletter from me.
Gluten Free Cannoli Cupcakes
- cupcake liners
- cupcake pan
- Hand mixer
For the frosting:
- 1 cup palm oil shortening make sure it is room temp
- 1 cup coconut oil make sure it is not hard
- 1/3 cup tapioca flour or arrowroot. cornstarch is ok if you are not paleo
- 1/3 cup honey make sure it is lighter honey or it could change the coloring
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- chocolate chips I like the enjoy life kind because they are dairy free
- honey to drizzle
- Preheat the oven to 350. Mix all of the cake dry ingredients in a bowl, then mix all of the wet ones. Combine the wet and dry ingredients and mix until smooth. Divide up the batter between 12 cupcakes. Now bake for 14-16 minutes.
- While the muffins are baking, put the frosting ingredients in a bowl and blend until smooth with a hand mixer. Put the frosting side.
- When the cupcakes are done, allow them to cool for 15 minutes prior to frosting. Sprinkle with chocolate chips and a honey drizzle on top when ready to serve. If you enjoyed this recipe it would mean the world to me if you rated it and left a comment below. It helps others find it on google.xoxo-Allianna