This whole30 cranberry sauce is exactly what you need on your thanksgiving table. The combination of orange, maple, cinnamon and cranberries makes this cranberry sauce tart but yet so sweet. It is the perfect side to meet all of your holiday needs. With this side dish only taking 10 minutes to prep it is not only a delicious clean thanksgiving recipe, but it is easy and quick!
There is something about cranberries and oranges that scream winter. I love the cranberry orange combination. If you love this recipe you will love the other cranberry and orange recipes on my blog like my Gluten Free Orange Cake and Cranberry BBQ Meatballs.
Why This Recipe Works
- This Paleo Cranberry Sauce is full of flavor and so easy to make around the holidays.
- You can prepare this recipe ahead of time which means it is one less thing you have to do on actual Thanksgiving!
- This recipe is naturally paleo, vegan, Whole30, dairy free, gluten free, grain free and autoimmune protocol (AIP) friendly.
- While this recipe is so easy to make, if you would prefer to have it delivered to you-check out my meal prep delivery service based in Pittsburgh.
- This recipe only takes 5 minutes to prep.
- I love pairing this recipe with just about anything. From paleo mashed potatoes to turkey, it is the best sauce!
Cranberries– Cranberries are known for being one of nature’s superfoods! They are loaded with antioxidants. While they typically aren’t eaten alone because of their tart flavor, they pair super well with anything sweet. In this recipe I like to use fresh cranberries.
Oranges- The natural sugars from the oranges naturally cut the tart flavor of the cranberries.
Maple syrup- Since cranberries natural flavor is pretty tart it is important to pair that tart flavor with something sweet, this is where the maple syrup comes into play! However, if you are following the whole30 you can omit the maple syrup and use the dates and orange juice alone.
Dates– The dates add an additional layer of sweet to these muffins. Dates are naturally whole30 compliant and one of my favorite ways to sweeten whole30 dishes.
Cinnamon- Adds a nice layer of warmth to this recipe.
You can substitute honey for the maple syrup.
How To Make
- First things first, you want to soak the dates in boiling hot water for 10 minutes. This will allow the dates to be a lot softer and easier to dice up.
- Next, you want to zest the oranges. This will add the additional flavor to this paleo orange cranberry sauce. Then, you will cut the orange in half and juice it by squeezing it with our hands.
- Now, you should add all other ingredients to a large saucepan and bring to a boil on medium heat for 12 minutes. It is important for the refined sugar free cranberry sauce to be continuously mixed or it could burn on the bottom. So mix it up!
- Once the cranberry sauce is cooked, I like to garnish it with additional orange zest to make it pretty.
Absolutely! You can prepare this recipe up to 5 days prior to eating it.
I suggest using fresh or frozen. Canned cranberries tend to be more like a jelly.
This recipe will last for up to 5 days.
I suggest storing it in an air tight glass container.
I am obsessed with pairing cranberry sauce with mashed potatoes! My Whole30 Mashed Potatoes are my favorite!
Other Paleo Thanksgiving Side Dishes
Did you try this recipe?
Leave a rating and review below. Be sure to tag me on instagram @alliannaskitchen
Whole30 Cranberry Sauce
- large saucepan
- 4 cups fresh cranberries
- 2 whole oranges zested and juiced.
- 1/2 cup maple syrup Make sure it is pure maple syrup. Omit for whole30.
- 8 whole dates Soaked in hot/ boiling water.
- 1/2 cup filtered water
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
OPTIONAL: to garnish
- orange zest
- Mince the pitted dates. Wash the cranberries and add them to the saucepan with the dates. Zest the oranges, then cut them in half and squeeze to juice. Add the zest and juice to the pan. Add the (optional if doing Whole30) maple syrup and filtered water. Bring the saucepan to medium heat and cook for 12 minutes. Mix the cranberry sauce with a metal spoon throughout (it will stain wood.) Now, after the 12 minutes is up remove from the pan and add the addition orange zest on top if desired. If you enjoyed this recipe it would mean the world to me if you rated it and left a comment below. It helps others find it on google.