This creamy comforting paleo soup is loaded with flavor, nutrients and is super simple to make! You can have a nutrient dense dinner made in under 30 minutes.
The Creamy Base
Coconut cream is a staple in any paleo, dairy free, AIP house! It is the closest alternative to heavy cream. Be aware that different brands may taste different. While I love the Trader Joe’s brand of coconut cream, it does give that coconut taste. It is great for baked goods, but I try to use other brands when I am cooking with it. My favorite is this brand.
Red boats fish sauce is the only brand of fish sauce I use because it is whole 30, paleo, and AIP compliant. Most fish sauce brands have gluten in them, so check your labels! This is the bottle I use.
While you can leave the bone broth out I highly recommend adding it, it adds a lot more flavor and a ton of nutrients. Sometimes I make my own, but other times I just buy it. I love this brand.
Spicing It Up
Ginger root is one of my favorite vegetables to use to flavor so many dishes. It adds a kick and can be so soothing for the gut.
The red pepper flakes add a nice kick, however if you are sensitive to nightshades or doing AIP leave them out!
I love to garnish any soups with fresh herbs like basil and parsley, it adds the perfect touch.
Kitchen Gadgets I Love For This Recipe:
Kitchen scissors, I cannot stress enough how much I love my kitchen scissors. YOu can use them for almost anything: cutting veggies, meat, pizza. In this recipe I love using them to cut the chicken breast over the pot. This helps eliminate excess raw meat clean up that no one likes to deal with.
Stock pot: every kitchen needs a good stock pot! I have had this one for years and it is by far my favorite.
Keywords: whole 30 chicken soup, whole 30 soup, paleo soup, dairy free keto, paleo comfort food, aip recipes, dairy free creamy soup
If you enjoyed this recipe you will LOVE:
Thai Creamy Coconut Chicken Soup
- soup pot
- kitchen scissors
For the soup:
- 1 can coconut cream; 13 ounces
- 12 ounces chicken breast
- 1 1/2 cups baby mushrooms (crimini), chopped any kind of mushrooms will work
- 1 whole yellow onion chopped
- 1 tsp freshly ground ginger I like using this tool to grate it!
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes omit if you cannot tolerate nightshades or are doing AIP
- 1 whole lemon juiced, I like this juicer!
- 1/4 cup bone broth you can skip this but it adds more flavor and nutrients
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp fish sauce I like red boat because it's gluten free.
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes omit if you cannot tolerate nightshades or are doing AIP
- 1 pinch fresh parsley
For the soup:
- In a tall soup pot, add the olive oil over medium heat.
- Over the pot, cut the chicken breasts into 1 inch pieces using kitchen scissors, if you do not have a pair, buy them! I have 5 pairs and use the all of the time in my kitchen. But if you do not have a pair, chop up the chicken with a knife.
- Once the chicken is added to the pot, mix around for 3 minutes.
- Add the yellow onions, ginger, and red pepper flakes (if tolerated to the pot) and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the pot: coconut cream, mushrooms, bone broth, lemon, and fish sauce.
- Simmer for 7 minutes on medium heat.
- ENJOY! I would be so greatly appreciative if you left a review and star rating in the comments section below, took a picture of your yummy soup and tagged me on instagram @alliannaschneider or shared the link to this recipe with a friend.