This vegan skillet cookie is everything a skillet cookie should be: chocolatey, quick, and easy. This dessert is perfect for two and is naturally gluten free and paleo friendly. We love making this skillet cookie for date night and topping it off with warm chocolate ganache and vegan ice cream. This recipe is just in time for Valentine’s Day!
This recipe was originally created August 23rd 2019 but was updated for user experience on January 25th 2021.
What You Will Need To Make This Vegan Skillet Cookie:
- Almond butter- I love almond butter over peanut butter, but you can for sure use peanut butter instead.
- Flax egg-Flax eggs are my go to alternative for vegan baking, but if you do eat eggs you can use a regular egg.
- Coconut oil-This will help soften the cookie batter.
- Coconut sugar-My go to paleo sweetener.
- Maple syrup-My go to liquid sweetener, it compliments the coconut sugar oh so nicely.
- Baking soda-Baking soda is a leavening agent which means it helps baked goods rise! Do not skip 🙂
How To Make This Vegan Skillet Cookie:
- First thing is first, preheat the oven to 350. Grease the skillet with coconut oil. Now, mix all of the ingredients in a bowl and add to the skillet. Cook the cookie in the oven for 25 minutes.
- Once the skillet comes out of the oven, make the desired chocolate ganache (totally optional.) Heat the coconut cream in a small saucepan on medium high, once the water starts boiling, add the chocolate and IMMEDIATELY (or it will burn) place the head on low and continuously whisk until a chocolate sauce forms. Gently pour the chocolate over the cake. Next, add vegan ice cream on top if desired.
What Kind of Skillet Should I Use?
- Be sure whatever kind of skillet you use is oven friendly. We love using cast iron. This recipe is sized for a 6 inch pan, we like this one here.
If you like this recipe, you will love my other chocolate desserts:
- Paleo Pumpkin Bundt Cake With Chocolate Ganache
- Vegan Edible Cookie Dough
- Gluten Free & Vegan Cherry Lime Cheesecake
Cast Iron skillet Cookie Cake
- Cast Iron Skillet
- 2/3 cup almond butter sub peanut butter if desired
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil melted
- 4 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 4 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 flax egg regular egg if you are not vegan
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips I recommend Enjoy life Chocolate Chip brand from Thrive market, they are dairy free.
- cooking oil to spray
- dairy free ice cream
Chocolate ganache- optional
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
For the skillet cookie:
- Preheat the oven to 350. Grease a 6 inch cast iron pan with cooking oil spray. Mix the batter thoroughly with a hand mixer. Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 25 minutes. Let set for 10 minutes before serving.
For the chocolate ganache:
- Once the cookie is out of the oven, place the coconut cream in a small saucepan on medium high, once the water starts boiling, add the chocolate and IMMEDIATELY (or it will burn) place the head on low and continuously whisk until a chocolate sauce forms. Gently pour the chocolate over the cookie. Add ice cream on top if desired. We like to eat this out of the skillet.