The best whole 30 & paleo kale salad ever! The pomegranate and pistachios add the perfect mix between sweet and salty while giving this salad a crunch! If you typically don’t like kale, this salad is for you! The lemon tahini dressing adds the perfect kick to the salad as well as it helps break down the kale so it is not so tough!
*This recipe was edited and updated on 8/14/2020.
The Most Amazing Way To Eat Kale
I came up with this recipe when i really wanted to start adding kale into my diet but did not like how tough it was. I found out that the key to a wonderful kale salad is adding a dressing that helps break it down! The apple cider vinegar and lemon in the dressing helps break down the kale so it isn’t as “tough.
Make sure you are using a fresh jar of tahini, you can tell by seeing how much oil is sitting on top. If you use an old jar it will make the dressing too thick.
Make sure you mix the dressing with the salad right away! The longer the dressing sits on the salad before serving the easier it will be for the kale to get digested. It won’t be as rough.
When mixing the salad, use your hands! The dressing is thick! It is near impossible to mix the dressing thoroughly with tongs.
Do not skip out on the apple cider vinegar and lemon in the dressing! This is what helps break down the kale to make it easier to digest.
Do yourself a favor and buy pomegranate that is already cut! Cutting a pomegranate and pulling out the seeds takes FOREVER.
Coconut aminos are used in the dressing to replace soy sauce! Coconut aminos are made from a coconut and contain far less sodium.
My favorite brand of tahini is Trader Joe’s brand. I have never had an issue with the tahini being too dried, you want to make sure your jar of tahini is fresh or the dressing will come out way too thick.
The cumin in the dressing adds the perfect kick!
If the kale is still too tough for you slowly add a teaspoon more of apple cider vinegar at a time to get a better consistency for you. This will help break down the kale.
Keywords: Whole 30 Trader Joes, whole 30 kale recipe, vegan tahini dressing, tahini vegan dressing
If you like this salad, you will LOVE:
Crunchy Pomegranate Kale Salad
- Lemon juicer
- Food processor
- Garlic mincer
For the salad
- 10 cup chopped kale This is usually the equivalent to one large bag.
- 1 cup shredded carrots You can buy the carrots already shredded next to the regular carrots.
- 1/2 cup pistachios Save yourself time and buy the ones without the shells!
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds Save yourself time and buy pomegranate where the seeds are already removed! Most grocery stores sell it this way.
For the salad:
- Put all salad ingredients in a bowl and set aside to make the dressing.
- Once the dressing is made, add the dressing to the bowl and massage the salad with your hands until it is mixed throughout. Massage for 1-2 minutes.
For the dressing:
- Place all dressing ingredients in a food processor and blend for 30 seconds. *Note this will come out thick