This Rhubarb Simple Syrup screams spring and summer! The tart rhubarb vegetable combined with the sweet honey makes for the most perfect combination. This homemade simple syrup only takes minutes to make and lasts for up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator. I love combining this homemade simple syrup with some club soda, but you can totally make it into a cocktail too if that is your jam!
What Makes This Recipe So Good?
- First off the rhubarb and honey combination is seriously to die for. Rhubarb is naturally tart but when you combine it with something sweet it is SO delicious.
- This recipe is naturally refined sugar free, paleo, and alcohol free.
- You can make this simple syrup ahead of time and use it for when you have guests!
- This recipe only takes 15 minutes to make which makes it a great last minute addition to your fun nights in.
- You can spice up this recipe by adding strawberries in to make a lovely rhubarb strawberry simple syrup!
- If you love mocktails and fun drinks like me you can check out the other simple syrup and mocktail recipes I have on my blog!
- Rhubarb-The best way to know if rhubarb is ripe is by the length of it. It should be between 7-15 inches. It is important not to pay attention to the color because the color doesn’t make much of a difference in terms of ripeness.
- Honey-Honey is a must! Rhubarb alone is very bitter but when it is mixed with honey it has the best taste ever! It is nice and sweet and oh so delicious. I would not suggest substituting honey with any other sweetener here, especially if you want to keep it refined sugar free.
- Filtered water- To make the syrup with.
- Strawberries– Rhubarb and strawberry are so good together. The strawberry will add extra color to the syrup as well.
How To Make:
- Step 1
- Place all ingredients in a pot on the stove. Bring to a boil and let simmer for 10 minutes. Then, remove from heat.
- Step 2
- Let the mixture cool for 20 minutes.
- Step 3
- Once the mixture cools, use a strainer (with a bowl underneath it) and strain the mixture, allowing the simple syrup to fall into the bowl underneath.
- Step 4
- Pour syrup in a mason jar and store in the fridge. The simple syrup will last for several weeks.
- Step 5
- To make this into a drink, mix the club soda and rhubarb simple syrup in a large cup.
- Step 6
- Put ice in a cocktail glass and pour in the mixture from the large cup! Garnish as desired and enjoy.
Recipe Frequently Asked Questions:
What Goes Well With This Rhubarb Simple Syrup?
- You can pair it with club soda, tonic water, or a liquor of your choice!
Does This Simple Syrup Keep In The Fridge?
- Yes! I recommend storing in a mason jar. It will last in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
How Should I Serve This?
- I love to mix the Rhubarb Simple Syrup with San Pellegrino. It is so light and refreshing. You can also mix it with club soda if you want it to be more fizzy. If you drink alcohol, you can mix it with vodka, rum, or prosecco as well.
What Are Your Favorite Garnishes?
- I like to garnish it with basil leaves. You could also garnish with a strawberry or an extra piece of rhubarb. I like to put my mocktails in fancy glasses as well. It makes it fun!
What Is Rhubarb?
- Rhubarb is actually a vegetable. It is hardly even consumed raw because it has a really sour taste. It is mostly consumed with sweet things. It is often used in desserts because the combination of rhubarb with something sweet is so delicious.
- If your rhubarb is still green, adding strawberries will still make the syrup that pretty pink color.
- Depending on your equipment, you may want to use a funnel when pouring the simple syrup from the bowl into a mason jar. This will prevent spills and ensure you don’t lose any of your mixture!
If you like this recipe, you will LOVE
- Vibrant Rosemary Rhubarb Mocktail
- Honey Simple Syrup
- Strawberry Basil Mocktail
- Blood Orange Mojito Mocktail
If you enjoyed this recipe it would mean the world to me if you rated it and left a comment below. It helps others find it on google.xoxo-Allianna
Join my online community for FREE and get a weekly newsletter from me.
Rhubarb Simple Syrup
- sauce pot
For the rhubarb syrup
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups chopped rhubarb chopped into ½-1 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup honey I prefer raw honey
- 1 inch ginger grated
- 1 cup strawberries optional
To make it into a drink-
- 1 cup club soda
- 2 basil leaves
- 1/4 cup rhubarb syrup
- Using a pot on the stove, place all of the rhubarb syrup ingredients in the pot and bring to a boil. Simmer for 10 minutes and remove from the heat
- Let the mixture cool for 20 minutes.
- After the mixture cools, use a strainer with a bowl below and strain the mixture allowing the syrup to fall into the bowl
- Pour the syrup into a mason jar and allow it to cool (the syrup will last for several weeks)
- In a large cup mix the club soda, basil, and rhubarb syrup.
- Add an ice cube to a cocktail glass
- Pour the cocktail in the glass.