Recently in my instagram stories I was asked questions about my daily supplement routine. I want to preface this by saying that everyone’s body is different and I encourage you to figure out what is best for you. Also note that this is not medical advice, I suggest reaching out to a Functional Medicine doctor to help you on your wellness journey.
I want to preface this and also say that my supplement regimen looked different at different times in my healing journey. When I first started and I was really sick I was taking SO many supplements a day. I carried around a journal with me and documented when I would take them, everything I ate in a day and how I felt. A lot of this came down to trial and error in figuring out what worked for me. One last thing to note, supplements work best when they are combined with other forms of care-good eating, balanced hormones, and sleep! You can take all of the supplements in the world, but if your eating isn’t good or you aren’t sleeping, they probably won’t help much.
The supplements I take below are my daily supplements, I will write another blog post about ones I take on occasion.
My daily supplements:
- Magnesium glycinate– This is the only brand I use HERE. If you have been following along for a while you probably know that I used to really struggle with anxiety. Once I started to really nourish my body and get off of a ton of medications with side effects of anxiety, the anxiety slowly started to go away but I realized there was always a small baseline of some present. My functional medicine doctor at the time suggested magnesium glycinate to help turn my brain off at night and help me sleep and let me tell you, it has been the biggest game changer. I have taken it every day for years. I started off taking one a day and now I take 6. The body uses up more magnesium when it is stressed, so sometimes I take even more when I am feeling stressed to help combat that.
- Epsom salts-I felt funny putting this on there but let me tell you, epsom salts have been a HUGE game changer for me. I take a bath with them at least once a day. One a good day, I take one in the morning and one in the evening. Epsom salts are made from magnesium, which is why they make me feel so calm! I use this brand HERE.
- Magnesium threonate- A few months ago the crippling anxiety started to come back and I was trying so many different things and nothing seemed to work. I saw an ad online for Pittsburgh Victory Float (which is essentially a senseless bath with a ton of epsom salts aka magnesium) . I tried it and OMG my anxiety diminished. I will never really know exactly what causes it to go away but to me it was kinda obvious, my body needed those high doses of magnesium in the baths so now I take magnesium threonate every night to help my brain just relax. The brand I have currently is not online, but I have used THIS brand too!
- Pregnenolone– This has been one of the things we have added over the years to help keep me calm. Pregnenolone is a hormone and helps balance me out! The brand I have now I cannot find online, but I have used this brand HERE before too.
- Ion gut health-This helps with nourishing and healing the gut lining in my stomach. So many people struggle with gut issues which then can lead to other issues. When I work with health coaching clients we always start with the gut which typically looks like starting with the food you eat and supplements to support the gut!
Be on the lookout for another blog post talking about the other supplements I take here and there!