Looking for an easy weeknight dinner that’s full of flavor and only takes minutes to prep? This paleo Mexican chicken lasagna is dairy free, gluten free, and always a crowd pleaser! You can even add all your favorite toppings like guacamole, cilantro, and more. With this lasagna only taking 15 minutes to prep and 4 ingredients total, it’s a delicious and healthy option that’s perfect for even the busiest weeknights.
This post was originally published on August 29th, 2019 and updated on December 10th to improve user experience.
On busy weeknights, I’m always looking for quick and easy dinner options. They need to be simple to make, but still healthy and delicious. This paleo Mexican chicken lasagna is one of my go to recipes! You only need 4 ingredients to make it, and you can throw everything together in about 15 minutes. After that, let it bake for half an hour and you’re ready to serve. The almond cream “cheese” adds a wonderful richness while the enchilada sauce gives it a kick of flavor. Instead of pasta, we’ll use tortillas made with almond flour for this lasagna. Combined with high-protein chicken breast, this dish turns out so hearty and satisfying. The next time you have a busy weeknight ahead, add this simple dairy free lasagna recipe to your menu. You’ll love how easy, healthy, and delicious it is!
What Do I Need To Make Paleo Mexican Chicken Lasagna
- Chicken breast: This should be pre cooked and shredded. You could substitute chicken thighs, but it will increase the fat and lower the protein in the recipe.
- Almond Flour tortillas: Make sure to use burrito size. I prefer Whole Siete grain free almond flour burrito tortillas, but feel free to use any brand you prefer.
- Dairy free “cream cheese”: I recommend Kite Hill cream cheese because it’s made from almond cream and so delicious. If you’re not dairy free, you can use regular cream cheese.
- Enchilada sauce: This adds just the right kick of flavor.
How To Make Paleo Mexican Lasagna
- Preheat the oven to 350. Cut the burrito tortillas into fourths.
- Then, add the almond cream and shredded chicken to a bowl. Stir to combine.
- In a large casserole pan, add a layer of the enchilada sauce, then add 4 of the tortilla pieces (it is ok if they overlap a bit).
- Next, add a layer of enchilada sauce, almond cream, chicken, and olives (if desired.)
- Repeat the layers until you run out of chicken, almond cream, and tortillas. Pour the remaining enchilada sauce on top to keep the lasagna from drying out.
- Finally, place the dish in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- We like to serve our paleo Mexican lasagna with fresh cilantro, chives, and guacamole.
How Should I Make The Shredded Chicken?
- I like to make chicken breast either in my Instant Pot or on the stovetop.
- For the Instant Pot method, add 2 cups of water to the pressure cooker, close the lid, set the valve to sealing, and cook the chicken breast on HIGH pressure for 8 minutes.
- For the stovetop method, add 2 cups of water to a saucepan, then cook the chicken over medium heat for 5 minutes per side or until the center is no longer pink.
- Once cooked, my secret trick to shredding chicken breasts is to place them in a bowl, then use a handheld mixer. It’s so easy. You could also use two forks to shred the chicken if you prefer.
- After that, the chicken is ready to go in your gluten free lasagna!
Can I Store This Grain Free Lasagna?
- You bet! This dish makes great leftovers.
- Simply store any extra lasagna in an airtight container in the refrigerator. I recommend eating within 3-4 days.
If You Like This Recipe, You Will LOVE My Other Dinner Recipes:
- Pepperoni Pizza Chicken
- Maple Garlic Roasted Boneless Turkey Breast
- Healthy Chicken Piccata
- Gluten Free Paleo Pumpkin Ravioli with Sage Apple Bacon Sauce
- Chicken Nuggets with Buffalo Sauce
Paleo Mexican Chicken Lasagna (Grain Free)
- baking dish 6 by 12
- Large bowl
- Can opener
- hand held mixer
- 2 pounds chicken breast pre cooked *see optional cooking instructions below. The chicken needs to be shredded, I like to use a handheld mixer to shred it.
- 6 whole siete almond flour burritos This is my favorite grain free tortilla brand, feel free so sub them out for other tortillas.
- 16 ounces Kite Hill cream cheese This is equal to 2 containers. If you are not dairy free you can use regular cream cheese. I love this brand because it is made from almond cream and so delicious.
- 30 ounces enchilada sauce 2 cans
- 6 ounces canned black olives
- fresh cilantro to garnish
- fresh chives
- Preheat the oven to 350. Cut the burritos into fourths. Then, add the almond cream to a bowl and use handheld mixer to shred the chicken (this is my secret shredding trick). Set the burritos aside. In a separate bowl open up the enchilada sauce.
- In a large casserole pan, add a layer of the enchilada sauce, then add 4 of the burrito pieces (it is ok if they overlap a bit), now add a layer of enchilada sauce, almond cream, chicken and olives (if desired.) Repeat this step until you run out of ingredients. Be sure to save enough enchilada sauce to pour overtop so that it does not dry out.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes. We like to serve this dish with fresh cilantro, chives, and guacamole.